Sunday, February 21, 2016

On the Right Path: A Missionary Again

Italy 1983
There are several decisions that shaped the direction of my life, The most important (and best) decision I ever made was asking Lori to marry me. Luckily, she said "yes" and we'll celebrate our 30th anniversary later this summer.

The other most important decision I ever made is one that shaped me personally, spiritually and emotionally. It solidified my faith and placed me on a path that I have faith will lead to living eternally with God. And that was to serve a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon church) in southern Italy. The innumerable lessons I learned during my 19th and 20th years of life still resonate with me and always will. I loved wearing the missionary name tag. I cherished it. It was an honor being set apart as a personal representative of Jesus Christ and teaching others about His gospel.

Lori and me (2015)
Fast forward to 33 years later. Lori and I were living in Lolo (where we were members of the Stevensville Stake) when we received a phone call from a member of the Missoula Stake presidency. That seemed kind of odd since we were not in Missoula's jurisdiction, so to speak. We were asked if we would serve a church service mission as a couple. Specifically, we were asked if we would oversee implementation of the first Pathway program site in Montana. "Sure," we said. "What's Pathway?"

We learned Pathway is low cost online continuing education program administered through BYU-Idaho designed to help adults age 18+ work toward a college degree. Originally launched in 2009 in just three locations, there are now more than 15,000 students located in 42 states and 39 countries around the world. It entails three semesters that cover four courses: Life Skills, Math, English and the Book of Mormon. Students who obtain a "B" average in those classes can carry their low cost tuition rate into the remainder of their online college careers--assuming they remain with BYU-Idaho. They can also transfer to another school or program and have the credits transfer with them or obtain a certificate.

One of the exciting things about serving this part-time 18-month mission is my name again appears on a missionary name tag. And even better, Lori is my companion. (It goes without saying she is BY FAR the best-looking missionary companion I've ever had--no offense Hopkins, Harris, Whited, Ensign, Spendlove, Teuscher, Smith, Kezos and anyone else I may have missed.)

Lori and I oversee the age 31+ class. We meet weekly in one of our church buildings in Missoula.


Right now, we are halfway through the second of three semesters, meaning our students are halfway through their overall Pathway experience. It is inspiring and empowering watching a group of folks who have all become friends stretch themselves and learn together.

To me, the Pathway program is yet another avenue that God has provided for his children in order to help them become more knowledgeable. You know, more like him. To have the opportunity to witness and take part in such a learning and growing experience first-hand--isn't that what being a missionary is all about...again?




No comments:

Post a Comment