Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Hero of Mine

There are many heroes in my life:  my father, mother, brothers, sister, wife, friends and others.  I recently lost one of them.  His name is Charles "Papa" Pennington.  My father-in-law passed away this past Christmas Eve day.     

He was a hero to so many for so many different reasons.  He was a hero to his wife of 46 years.  He was a hero to his four children.  He was a hero to his four younger siblings.  He was a hero to his fourteen grandchildren.  He was a hero to his many friends.  He was a hero to his former co-workers.  And he was a hero to his country.

To me, he was a hero because of the way he treated people and the way he lived and loved life.  Charles always had a smile on his face.  He had a contagious, cackling kind of laugh that only drew you to him.  He loved to tell a good joke.  He loved to meet people.  In fact, several of us were talking during his viewing, wondering what he would think of it.  We came to the conclusion that he wouldn't have even been there.  Instead, he would've probably been down the hall at another viewing just so he could meet new people.  That's exactly the kind of person he was.  

I was honored to serve as a pallbearer at his funeral alongside my son, son-in-law, brother-in-law and other relatives.  As a newscaster, I have reported on too many funerals with full military honors, but I had never attended one in person.  Even though a cold rain poured down on us, an honor guard stood at full attention as we carried the American flag-covered casket to the burial spot.  A group of elderly veterans also stood at attention.  The honor guard fired three volleys of shots into the air.  Two of the veterans played taps.  It was a moving sight as immediate family huddled under a tarp.  


Honor guard members respectfully gathered and meticulously folded the flag thirteen times.  As per military tradition, each fold has special representation: 
1st:  a symbol of life
2nd: a symbol of belief in eternal life
3rd:  to honor the Veteran who gave a piece of his life in defense of country
4th;  trusting in God during times of peace and war
5th:  a tribute to country
6th:  where people's hearts lie and in allegiance to the flag of the United States
7th:  a tribute to the Armed Forces
8th:  a tribute to the one who entered into the shadow of death
9th:  a tribute to womanhood
10th:  a tribute to fatherhood
11th:  in the eyes of Hebrew citizens to glorify God
12th:  in the eyes to Christian citizens to glorify God
13th & final fold:  the stars are uppermost in remembrance of the U.S. national motto "In God We Trust"

 
An honor guard representing the United States Air Force then presented the flag to Charles' wife, Mary Jo, and said, "On behalf of the President of the United States, the Department of the Air Force, and a grateful nation, we offer this flag for the faithful and dedicated service of Captain Charles DeLee Pennington."


The grave site service concluded when Charles' only son, Jon, offered a prayer to dedicate the grave.  Then, one by one, his wife, children, four siblings, grandchildren and others placed a yellow rose on his casket.  You see, Charles was a proud Texan.  He grew up in the oil fields of East Texas.  He loved his family and his Texas roots.  This display of affection was just one way to honor a true "Yellow Rose of Texas."  His oldest daughter, Sheri, then sprinkled some special soil on his grave.  It was Texas soil, brought to southern Utah by family members.

Charles was extremely patriotic and demonstrated that by his living actions.  He served his country and he served his fellow man.  He joined the ROTC program as a student at Texas A&M University.  After serving a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he graduated from Brigham Young University.  He joined the Air Force and received training as a navigator. He flew 365 combat missions over Vietnam, many of them in extremely dangerous conditions.  He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross and two Oak Leaf Clusters (DFC W/2 OLC on his grave marker).

I remember Charles for so many things.  He loved taking us, especially his grandkids, out to eat and to McDonalds for breakfast. Whenever we moved, he was there with his bag of tools as the "king of small projects."  I can't tell you how many ceiling fans we installed together.  He also installed dead bolt locks, telephone lines, lighting, electrical outlets and switches, shelving and drywall.  But more than those temporal skills, I remember him for his kind words and loving attitude.  He truly was a peacemaker in word and deed.

Charles called me the night before he passed away.  It was a very short 40 to 45 second conversation.  He was weak and fragile but clear of mind.  He expressed gratitude and love for me and my family.  I thanked him for his life, his example and his daughter--my wife Lori.  I told him we would always love, honor and remember him.  That's a promise I will always keep.  Thanks Charles for being my hero. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful and loving tribute to my father. His light will never go out because it burns so brightly in each of us. I love you daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thank you so much for doing this blog in Chuck's honor. I loved reading it. And it was right on the nail. This was Charles, to know him was to love him. I often think of him and his voice will forever echo in my ears and when ever I hear it I smile an hear him saying my name in his beautiful Texas accent. And that is music to my ears. I know that he will be there when I live this world someday. I love all very much, Maria E. FAwcett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, that was absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad....this was amazing!!!! You are absolutely wonderful, you could pass as a younger version of Papa....I know Papa was proud to have you for a son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a "Hero of Mine" too! Thanks for the beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed this Mark. I don't know if or remember ever meeting him, but a great tribute to a great man, veteran, Texan, and member of your family. I feel like I know him through the words you shared.

    ReplyDelete