Friday, May 21, 2021

What's in a Name?

"H-o-l-y-o-a-k."

"Hey, that's just like it sounds!"

Yeah, that's a phrase I've heard a jazillion times immediately after I'm asked to spell my last name. I get it. Holyoak is different. It's unique. I like it and it has quite a history. My dad taught me that honoring our family name honors my ancestors. 

2 Nephi 16:13 (Book of Mormon)
That reminds me of a story by George Albert Smith, former president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He said he had a dream when he was young in which his deceased grandfather asked him, "I would like to know what you have done with my name." Young George answered he had never done anything of which he should be ashamed. I've tried to do the same throughout my life.

Back to my dad. He was quite the scriptorian. His scriptures are riddled with shades of yellow, blue and red featuring hand-written cross references, notes, thoughts, insights and quotes. And he searched the scriptures to find and highlight individual verses linked to the "holy" family name (see verse above and list below).  

The Holyoak Coat of Arms – Sacra Quercus (Latin)

The surname of Holyoak is a name taken from Holy Oakes, a location in Leicestershire, England, or from residency near a holy oak or gospel oak.

The Latin inscription, “Sacra Quercuo” means seeking for the sacred. This is a holy oak and beneath a shield with Maltese Crosses and a deer head. Henry Holyoak, son of my great, great grandfather, obtained this coat of arms while serving a mission in England in 1893. 

As a guy who enjoys watching and hunting wildlife, let me add it's pretty catchy especially for being so ancient.

Examples of Holyoak, as noted in the holy scriptures belonging to Dale Holyoak

D&C 124:61 – “That he may receive also the counsel from those whom I have set to be as plants of renown (Holy oaks), and as watchmen upon her walls.

2 Nephi 16: 13 – “But yet there shall be a tenth, and they shall return, and shall be eaten, as a teil –tree, and as an oak whose substance is in them when they cast their leaves; so the holy seed shall be the substance thereof.

Isaiah 6:13 – “But yet in it shall be a tenth, and it shall return, and shall be eaten: as a teil tree, and as an oak whose substance is in them, when they case their leaves:  so the holy seed shall be the substance thereof.

Isaiah 60:21 – “Thy people also shall be all righteous:  they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.

Isaiah 61: 3 – “To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.”

Ezekiel 34:29 – “And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunter in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.”

Ezra 9:2 – “For they have taken of their daughters for themselves, and for their sons:  so that the holy seed have mingled themselves with the people of those lands: yea, the hand of the princes and rules hath been chief in this trespass.”

Deuteronomy 6:6 – “For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God:  the Lord they God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.”




No comments:

Post a Comment