Sunday, May 20, 2012

Got Elk?

After almost 24 years in television news, I am leaving the broadcast business to enter the "real world" as public relations director for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.  To most people this is "old news," but many others asked me how this upcoming career/life change came about?


Let me begin with some background.  It was never my intent to spend my entire adult working life in broadcast journalism.  I wanted to enjoy my time in TV, meet new people, gain experience, build up my skill set and find a nice community to raise a family.  Then, at the right time and with the right opportunity, I planned to make a lateral jump in the communications field to utilize my talents and abilities in a new endeavor.  I have had many opportunities over the years to make such a transition.  Among the organizations that interviewed me include the State of Kansas, Brigham Young University, and Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks.  For different reasons, those opportunities either didn't work out for me or the employer.

Fast forward to February of this year.  I was flipping through the newspaper when a small help wanted ad seemed to jump out at me.  It included the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation logo that you see on my name tag above, and advertised for a new public relations director position.  Professionally, having worked in Missoula the past nine and a half years, I reported on a variety of stories involving RMEF (four of which are included).  I interviewed several of the organization's higher ranking officials.  I was always impressed with their degree of professionalism and passion.  I also watched years ago as RMEF moved from an older, cramped warehouse to its new, spacious home bordering on Grant Creek. 


Personally, I love the great outdoors and try to spend as much time in it as I can.  I love to fish, hike, hunt, pick huckleberries, play in the rivers and streams and camp.  I always try to keep an eye out for wildlife of all shapes and sizes.  RMEF is an organization that values the outdoors and works "to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, and their habitat."  To me, those are worthy goals to try to attain in this day and age of increasing human expansion. 


After applying, time continued to pass and I didn't hear anything.  I finally received an email that offered me a chance to interview.  I was excited and grateful for the opportunity.  I sat around the table with three high ranking members of the organization, and CEO David Allen was on speaker phone. 


They each took turns asking me various questions about my background, my perceptions, my skills and responsibilities, what changes I would make, and my thoughts on the term "conservation hunter."  I gave each of them a copy of my resume and copies of two recent blogs, "Why I Hunt" and "Access Denied," hoping that would offer them a more personal look into why I believe some of the things I do.  It was a good 90 minute or so process. An hour later, I met up with two of the same interviewers for lunch.  Again, we had a good chat about the same kinds of things.  We also shared hunting and fishing stories.   I thanked them for their time and they told me it would be another week and a half before they made a decision.

A day and a half later, my phone rang at work.  It was Steve Decker, the man who will become my new boss.  He said "Mark, I want you to know this is a good call."  We talked and he eventually made an offer.  I went home that night after the late newscast and discussed it with my wife and children.  We all enthusiastically agreed.  Done deal!  I called Steve the next morning and we agreed on the terms of a contract.     



I had a good feeling about the opportunity, the organization, and its people through my entire interview process.  I made two brief visits to RMEF headquarters since my hire and felt the same positive feeling both times.  That is important to me. 

Contractually, I bought myself out of my KPAX deal in order to move forward.  Now, I am in the waning days of my 60-day TV notice.  While I look back on my television career with fond memories, I look ahead with much excitement to a new challenge.  I know I have a lot to learn, but I can't wait to get after it and begin.  My family and I are thrilled because this new opportunity does not require us to pull up stakes and move.  We get to stay here in Montana, the place we love!  This "life change" also allows me to work an 8 to 5 shift for the first time in my adult life.  I will finally see my now high school aged kids much more than just on weekends.  And hey, as a staffer at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, maybe I can learn how to better fill the freezer during hunting season.  Got elk?


No comments:

Post a Comment