Below is a portion of the Missoula Montana Temple Groundbreaking Historical Report compiled by Mark and Lori Holyoak and submitted to headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June 2026. I felt it was both important and would provide good historical context if we also included this section in the report that highlighted when the church first came to western Montana.
Western Montana Early Church History
Montana became a U.S. territory in 1864 and America’s 41st state on November 8, 1889. However, the history of Missoula started taking shape some 12,000 years earlier. At that time, Glacial Lake Missoula covered the entire valley including much of current-day northwest Montana and into Idaho. When floodwaters eventually receded, it revealed a central geographic point of five mountain ranges as well as the confluence of today’s Bitterroot, Blackfoot and Clark Fork Rivers. Missoula Valley is also known as Five Valleys since five valleys flow from it - the Clark Fork Valley to the West, Flathead Valley to the north, Blackfoot Valley to the northeast, Deerlodge Valley to the East and the Bitterroot Valley to the South.
Prior to its settlement, Missoula was the ancestral home of the Salish and Kalispell peoples. The Lewis and Clark Exhibition passed through the area in 1805 and 1806. European settlers entered the valley in 1858 and Hellgate Trading Post, as it was called, was founded two years later in 1860 as part of the Washington Territory. By 1866, it was renamed to Missoula Mills and later shortened to Missoula.
![]() |
| Early Native American camp in what is now downtown Missoula (Photo credit: Mansfield Library) |
The Early Church Comes to Montana
The first members of the Church traveled from Idaho to the Bitterroot Valley in 1855 to negotiate for a possible purchase of Fort Hall (located in Idaho) by the Church. The following year, a Church member began hauling freight between Salt Lake City and mining and logging camps in Montana. That same year, a female member along with her husband moved to Jocko (later renamed Dixon) to help manage the Indian Agency located there. After the discovery of gold in Montana in 1862, the demand grew for food and supplies along the “Montana Trail” between what would become the Montana Territory and Utah. During that time, small numbers of Church members moved to Montana seeking work in the mines and on the ranches.
In 1865, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill creating the Montana Territory. About that same time came the establishment of the Western Union telegraph between Salt Lake City and Virginia City, Montana, as well as the Utah and Northern Railroad Line that ran from northern Utah through southeast Idaho and into western Montana, which the Church founded and built. Some Church members that had been trading with the Flathead Indians began trade with Montana’s mining towns. Many of the traders, known as “Jack Mormons” along with converts from England, Wales, Scandinavia and other parts of the United States, stayed as miners in Montana, later becoming farmers and ranchers who contributed greatly to establish the territory’s stable agricultural economy.
It is reported that one of the first Church members to enter western Montana was a woman named Martha Morrill, who walked across the plains with a handcart company at the age of 13. She planted roots in the Flathead Valley some time around 1880, maintaining her lonely faith until others arrived later.
Missionaries visited the Bitterroot Valley as early as 1890. They traveled without purse or script and were often met with hard feelings against them. They tried to hold meetings in Corvallis, but were met with resistance so they decided to go house-to-house. About that time, a woman named Aquila O’Dell Dye had a dream that two young men would bring something of great value to her. One evening after the family retired, there was a knock at the door. Her husband, George Dye answered, talked for a few minutes and returned to bed. “Who was it?” asked Aquila. “It was two young men that called themselves the elders. I sent them to the neighbors.” She said, “Oh George, call them back! My dream!” He called them back and going forward the elders made the Dye ranch their headquarters, supported by the Dyes and other families. A few years later, George Dye became superintendent of the Corvallis Sunday School.
In 1896, the church created the Montana Mission to create communication ties with these early Church members and to spread the gospel. As part of that effort, it sent five missionaries (see photo below) to Montana with a main purpose of constructing church houses. They also helped form the first Montana branch of the Church in Lima and conducted proselyting in Anaconda, Deer Lodge and Helena. Success came in Butte with the establishment of Montana’s second branch there.
It is believed that early pioneers passed through the Flathead Valley en route to settlements like Cardston, Alberta. Recorded history shows that one of them, John Foy, did not want to take the arduous trip to Oregon so he turned north instead of west at Fort Missoula, and settled in what would later be known as Kalispell. It is there that he founded the first water-powered sawmill near what is known today as Foy’s Lake, where some early baptisms took place.
Missionary activity continued into other towns including Missoula, Beaverhead and Silver Bow. In 1898, the Montana Mission was absorbed into the Northwest States Mission, with its headquarters first in Anaconda and then moved to Portland, Oregon. From 1896 to 1898, church membership grew from six to 71 newly baptized members in 1898 alone.
Drummond Valley was settled by a few LDS families in the early 1900s, with 24 more families relocating from Wellsville, Utah, in 1916, where the Allendale Branch became the third Church branch in Montana on July 16, 1917. It was organized by Melvin J. Ballard, president of the Northwest States Mission and grandfather of Elder M. Russell Ballard, a late member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. (Allendale was the name of the land company that owned properties the families purchased when they moved from Utah. The town, at first called New Chicago and later renamed Drummond, moved to its present-day location when the railroad came through.) Meetings were held in members’ homes until a new brick building was built on March 2, 1919, expanded in 1951 and used until destroyed by fire in 1977.
![]() |
| A Sunday School gathering in Ronan in August 1919 (Photo Credit: Gerald Niels Christiansen) |
The first official Church organization in Missoula came around 1911 with the formation of the Missoula Sunday School. At the time, the average attendance was 12. It was reorganized and restarted several times due to fluctuating numbers. On May 8, 1928, the Missoula Branch was organized. Early meeting locations changed from the old Worden Hall to the VFW Hall to renting, purchasing and remodeling the South Side Methodist Church (301 S. Sixth St. W - see photo below).
Membership grew with the coming of the Amalgamated Sugar Company, which brought with it members of the Church from Idaho and Utah to build and help operate the plant. Missionary work also fueled early church membership growth. Over time, the area grew, which was under the stewardship of the Northwestern States Mission and organized the Missoula District with branches in Libby, Kalispell, Polson. St. Ignatius, Charlo, Hamilton, Missoula and Allendale.
![]() |
| Early church members in front of the Missoula Courthouse |
In July 1926, members of the Church from the Charlo area joined others at a picnic at McDonald Lake with a goal to make contact with the mission president to see if there was enough participation to organize a Sunday School. Three months later, the Flathead Prairie Sunday School was officially organized with the first meeting taking place in a Northern Pacific Railroad car in Charlo. (At the time, the railroad company supplied a car for special gatherings, when requested.) Early the following year, membership grew, so the Charlo Branch was organized on April 17, 1927. In need of a chapel, a pre-cut building was ordered and shipped from Washington. Members of the community, excited about having the influence of a church in their midst, donated time, horses and a wagon to move the lumber from rail cars to the building site. By May 1929, construction was completed and Joseph F. Smith of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles dedicated the building, which later added a gym that hosted dinners, Relief Society and Primary activities, dances, basketball games and roller skating. (The building still stands in Charlo today but is under private ownership.)
By 1934, there were several Church member families living in the Flathead Valley. They made contact with Martha Morrill, now an old-timer, and desired to form an organization. They reached out to the mission president, received permission to meet and held the first-ever meeting in Kalispell in December. In February 1935, two members of the Charlo Branch, under direction of the mission president, visited and organized the first official Sunday School in Martha Morrill’s home. After half a century of waiting, she was finally surrounded by members in an officially sanctioned Church organization. One member wrote: “Of our good sister, Martha Morrill, I can’t say enough for her and her faith and courage. It was the greatest day of her life when the Church came to Kalispell. She had lived in the Flathead Valley about 50 years, never faltering in her faith. She was mother to all people in the valley.” Meetings rotated among members’ homes. They received permission to meet above the old Anyd Hundahl tin stop known as the McKnight Building (131 1st Ave. East). Members bought paint and used soap, water and muscles to transform it into a worthy meeting location. Later, members negotiated to acquire an old Lutheran Church (on 5th Ave. West), which became the first building they owned. They 51 renovated it, removed the high tower, reshingled the roof, and painted inside and out. Preston Nibley of the Northwestern States Mission then dedicated it.
For three decades, members in the Bitterroot Valley had no church of their own. In 1941, a man who bought an old Baptist church with intentions of turning it into an apartment, instead “sold” it to church members for $1. Two years of hard work, coupled with financial donations from members, resulted in the Saints’ first permanent home. Elder Ezra Taft Benson, a newly called member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, dedicated the building in 1944.
![]() |
| First Hamilton Church House (South Third & Madison) |
In 1951, the West Central States Mission was organized with headquarters in Billings and the Missoula District was divided into the Missoula and Flathead Districts. This new district comprised the branches of Hamilton, Stevensville, Allendale and Missoula, with later branches organized in Superior, Darby and Corvallis. On June 8, 1954, groundbreaking took place for a new chapel (1001 Cleveland St.). Volunteer labor contributed toward the building’s completion on August 19, 1956.
The Missoula Montana Stake
Elders Spencer W. Kimball and Mark E. Peterson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles created and organized the Missoula Montana Stake on June 16, 1957, from the Northwestern States Mission. On that day, the following branches became wards: Allendale, Charlo, Corvallis, Hamilton, Missoula 1st, Missoula 2nd, Polson, Stevensville and St. Ignatius. Darby, Superior and Thompson Falls remained as independent branches.
Today’s Missoula Stake: Clinton Ward, Drummond Branch, Missoula 1st Ward, Missoula 2nd Ward, Missoula 3rd Ward, Missoula 4th Ward, Missoula 5th Ward, Missoula YSA Ward and Seeley Lake Branch
The Kalispell Montana Stake
On December 20, 1970, Elder LeGrand Richards of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles officially organized the Kalispell Stake, comprising most of the Missoula Stake’s northern units with wards in Columbia Falls, Kalispell (1st and 2nd), Libby, Polson and branches in Eureka, Thompson Falls, Troy and Whitefish. At the time, there were 1,940 members in the stake. However, membership ballooned to 2,247 just one year later.
Today’s Kalispell Stake: Batavia Ward, Bigfork Ward, Columbia Falls Ward, Creston Ward, Eureka Ward, Flathead Valley YSA Branch, Kalispell 1st Ward, Kalispell 2nd Ward, Kalispell 3rd Ward, Lakeside Ward, West Valley Ward and Whitefish Ward.
The Stevensville Montana Stake
The Stevensville Montana Stake was organized on October 21, 1979, by Elder Jack H. Goaslind Jr, a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. The new stake consisted of wards in Corvallis, Hamilton, Lolo, Stevensville 1st and 2nd, and the Darby Branch.
Today’s Stevensville Stake: Bitterroot Valley YSA Branch, Blodgett Canyon Ward, Corvallis Ward, Darby Ward, Hamilton Ward, Lolo Ward, Stevensville 1st Ward, Stevensville 2nd Ward and Willow Mountain Ward
The Ronan Montana Stake
Created from portions of the Kalispell and Missoula Stakes, the Ronan Montana Stake (originally called the Frenchtown Stake) was the first organized in Montana in 20 years. Elders J. Devon Cornish, General Authority Seventy, and James E. Evanson, Area Seventy, organized the new stake on February 26, 2017, with wards in Frenchtown, Missoula (4th), St. Ignatius, Ronan and Polson, and branches in Superior, Plains and Thompson Falls.
Today’s Ronan Stake: Frenchtown Ward, Mission Valley YSA Branch (discontinued in 2026), Plains Ward, Polson 1st Ward, Polson 2nd Ward, Ronan Ward. St. Ignatius Ward, Superior Branch and Thompson Falls Branch
The Church Today in Montana
According to church records, there are 52,050 members across 14 stakes and 140 congregations (97 wards and 43 branches) in Montana. There are also two missions and two temples.

.jpg)





































